After quite a break I am back onto getting the earthen floor completed. We needed to stop to facilitate a PDC, the two week Permaculture Design Certificate course and then because it had rained there was a lot of catching up to do on planting and grass cutting and the list went on. You may have seen some of the updates and photos. https://www.facebook.com/tom.kendall.777 https://www.instagram.com/permaculturesunshinecoast/
After the last layer of floor went on there were a few cracks opened up. Most of them could have been left as a featured look however there were two long ones that had come up from deeper layers and didn’t look good enough to leave. Also there were a few uneven high and low spots . So I decided to have a go at making it more presentable, always a bit of a concern because sometimes you should leave well alone as the end result could be worse! First up I used a screed to wear down the high spots , swept offthe loose material and then started the repair. This involved adding water then a small amount of the scraping made into mud and troweled the section smooth. I’m actually quite pleased with the result so far. Once its dry, which will take a couple of days hopefully there will be no cracks and then it will be ready to seal with linseed oil. Looking forward to that process!
I will be a bit stiff tomorrow, it took over four hours to complete. I’m glad I made the effort though, I don’t want to have to live with something because I didn’t try!
tot ziens Tom
©2016 Tom Kendall; permeco.org, incorporating Permaculture Research Institute Sunshine Coast, simplicity, permaculture, self reliance and homesteading, natural building.